Wednesday 28 March 2012

Are You Product Loyal? (Advertising Essay)

I first tried Jack Daniels a few years ago at my friends' house party, and have loved it ever since. I actually don't like any other Whiskey, but I think that JD in particular has a slightly different taste. Since being 18 and being 'legal' to drink, I have always ordered 'Double JD and Cokes' on a night out, I think of them as being my signature drink (all my friends even knew what 'birthday drink' to buy me this year when we went out in Nottingham). 

My obsession over the years has grown, and I have a collection of Jack Daniels merchandise which is continuing to grow also. Some of the pieces of JD merchandise that I have collected are:
- Glasses                                    - Posters
- Drinks Stirrers                         - Ice Tray
- Recipe Book                            - Bottle Opener
- BBQ sauce                               - T-Shirt


I even keep all of my empty bottles of JD, as I have all different sized ones that I line up on the shelf in my bedroom, almost like ornaments that remind me of messy nights out. I'm not exactly sure what it is about the brand that attracts me to it so much. I love the 'black and white' brand identity, and the fact that it has a 'vintage', 'old fashioned' aura about it - although it is becoming an increasingly popular young person's drink. When I went to Leeds Festival a few years ago, I even saw a lot of young girls wearing Jack Daniels T-shirts, some were clearly under 18, which gives the impression they may be wearing it as a brand name, rather than for the fact that they actually like the drink itself. These girls must have somewhere down the line thought that it was 'fashionable' to wear the brand, and for this reason Jack Daniels will always be a big name because its Merchandise is also selling well.

I especially like their 'Happy Holidays' Christmas 2011 ad campaign, where the bottle gets wrapped up as a present at the end, again I like the consistent black and white theme that they apply to their brand.


 

In this case, as you can probably already tell - I am extremely product loyal, and I think that this will always be a favorite brand name of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment